Friday, April 9, 2010

Reflection on Oral Presentation


Finally, the ES2007S proposal presentation is over!

PREPARATION

This presentation is one of the most time consuming project I had ever done. I spent the eve of presentation day touching up the slides to make sure the entire presentation transits smoothly. I finished doing up the slides at 3am and continued to rehearse for about 5 to 6 times before retiring to bed. Just before I fall into slumberland, I forced my brain to loop what I am going to present the next day and this continues until I totally lost consciousness.

In the morning of the presentation day, I woke up early and continued rehearsing for another 3 to 4 times. During the course of going through the presentation, I constantly put myself in the shoes of my audience to see if my arguments make sense. I recognized some of the points are not very strong and tried to either rephrase them or to replace them with other stronger evidences.

However, even after many rounds of editing, there are still some points which remained relatively fallible. I am at a dilemma because I can't remove them as they are vital transitional points to the subsequent key points.

For example, during the presentation, I showed a slide with the mean starting pay of graduates and I discussed the slide this way: "Our team has brainstormed several reasons for this disparity (in pay) and one possible reason would be the differences in curriculum." I went on to discuss the differences between the curriculum of the Business School and Faculty of Science.

If somebody had commented about the nature of the industry a graduate from Applied Science enters as a confounding factor besides curriculum, then, we would not be able to show explicitly that Professional Communication is largely responsible for the differences in pay.

I admit this is a big risk. However, given I had already memorized the sequence of my presentation and the lack of time (and I phrased my sentence in that manner), I went ahead with my prior presentation arrangement.

DELIVERY

I had previously wanted to include an array of delivery strategies such as engaging the audience by asking them a question: "Does anyone knows how many percentage of Science students said they are very confident of their communication skills." before showing them the shocking 4% result.

However, I later decided against it because it would be a rhetorical question since they would have already seen the presentation layout. Hence, I decided to stick to statistics to substantiate my claims.

I also considered what my audience wanted to hear and I figured they wanted to hear about the need for this additional module and the benefits they can get from implementing this module. Hence, I phrased my arguments in a persuasive manner to answer these questions.

PRESENTATION SLIDES

My presentation style previously is to put up all my points on the slides and then present by reading off from the slide. As a result, my slides are normally cluttered. (*If you remember my peer teaching slides*)

For this presentation, my team and I spent alot of effort designing our slides and this implies I can't throw all my points on the slides like before. I had to memorize all the information and this makes me feel very nervous as I had to take care of many things in my mind. These are the things going through my mind while I was presenting:

1. Think of what I am going to speak next
2. Be careful not to miss out on key transition words
3. Remember what animation follows the current one
4. Smile
5. Remain enthusiastic
6. Stop my hands from shivering
7. Smile
8. Eye contact
9. Smile

As a result, I ended up speaking a little too fast. I felt that given more practice, things would have improved drastically.

This presentation has been a different delivery experience for me and I hope it has been an enjoyable one for you too! Thank you for reading my entry and I'll be back with the final entry next week!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jim!

    First of all, well done on your team's oral presentation! I was overall very convinced by the presentation from the moment you started actually. I think your hours of preparation did definitely pay off as well! Compared to your peer teaching, you were more sure of the slides and the information you were presenting. That being said, I think you're naturally a very good presenter, bringing to each presentation a very enthusiastic spirit and pleasant smile!

    As you've noticed yourself, you did speak a little fast. However, you had good clarity and so I could still catch every word. I think what you did well too is that you emphasized at the right places and so in general, you delivered a very clear presentation and I could somehow share your passion in the subject.

    There was also good coordination with the slides as well and though you did not explicitly try to illicit audience involvement in the presentation, your pure enthusiasm sure did somehow make up for it.

    Yups, so once again, Good JOb! (:

    ~Jia Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YES! One more thing!

    I thought that your group's slides were extremely professional and very appropriate for the content you were presenting about. I got that impression right from the first slide. And the subsequent accompanying animation and graphics did confirm what I felt at the beginning.

    ~ Jia Lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim!

    Well done on your team's presentation. The presentation slides and the presentation itself definitely came across as very professional! =)

    Yes I thought that your hours of preparation definitely paid off. You did a good job presenting your thoughts and ideas clearly. You mentioned that you spoke a little too fast, but I felt that I was still able to follow the presentation very well despite that, so I think it is alright! You placed emphasis on certain words at the approproate moments too, well done!

    The only thing you may have to work on is to try not to cramp too much information within a short period of time. Although I was able to follow the presentation, it did come across as a little rushed.

    I feel that you are indeed a very natural presenter and I enjoyed your presentation very much!

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim,

    As usual, you caught our attention again =)! Not being cheeky here, but your group really performed well as your slides were very professional and attention grabbing. Please let me share the rest of my opinions.

    Firstly, you were very confident. This was coupled with good hand gestures, which I believe had captured our attention.

    Secondly, you have delivered very coherently. This allowed us to easily follow your points. The downside to this maybe, being that we could pick questions out fairly easily.

    Thirdly, however, I feel that you were very rush at times. Perhaps due to the great amount of slides you had to cover, I would suggest that maybe you could slow down your pace a little. One question - are businessmen always on a rush and so they tend to speak fast? Not generalization here, I'm not making a statement.

    So overall, I felt that your presentation has fully suited the theme - business professionalism, which was really good! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey JiaLin, Bryan and Andrew,

    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete